Housing Information Resources
When the Coordinating Council reconvened in 2016, it was determined that the focus of the CCB would be on challenges that ALICE (Asset Limited, Income Constrained and Employed) households face. It was overwhelmingly determined that housing instability was the most prevalent issue and one that lacked a comprehensive strategy and a united advocacy campaign. It became the top priority of the CCB and since then we are pleased with the success that we have experienced as a community. Together with our government, nonprofit, and business partners Broward County has become known around the state as the community model for working together to address the affordable housing crisis. Here are some of our successes in the area of housing over the last 5 years.
- Led a Housing Summit to perform a thorough SWOT analysis and engage a broad array of stakeholders in all future affordable housing advocacy and strategy efforts.
- Developed the first countywide comprehensive strategic plan to address the affordable housing crisis. Housing Broward: An Inclusive Plan has been the guiding document that the community has supported since 2017.
- Performed a wide-ranging market profile on Broward nonprofit housing developers and organizations to better understand gaps and needs.
- Created the Broward County Affordable Housing Trust Fund through the November 2018 ballot referendum with 73% voting in favor.
- Identified local dedicated funding sources for housing to provide a variety of housing programs including new multifamily development, home repair, first time homebuyer and foreclosure prevention. The Board of County Commissioners has committed to half of the County’s recaptured tax increment finance (TIF) funding from expiring Community Revitalization Area’s (CRA) to fund the Trust Fund.
- Updated several affordable housing policies in the Broward County Land Use Plan.
- Revised methodology used to determine supply and demand of affordable housing in each Broward municipality.
- Supported municipal initiatives in cities such as Hollywood and Fort Lauderdale to develop innovative strategies to address their housing needs.
- Established and promoted the “Housing Affects You.Me.Us Campaign to help address the stigmas associated with affordable housing.
- Reinvigorated the Broward Days Housing Impact team.
- Conducted “Rational-Nexus” Study by FIU for both new residential and commercial development which demonstrated that these uses generate demand for new affordable housing.
- Since 2018 the Board of County Commissioner has approved $42 million dollars for “gap financing” that resulted in 1,545 new affordable rental units.
- During the same period the Housing Financing Authority has issued $146 million dollars in bond allocation funding an additional 552 units.
Florida Housing Finance Corporation Mapping Tool
Senate Bill 102 - Housing
State Housing Initiatives Partnership (SHIP)
Broward County Affordable Housing Needs Assessment
Sadowski Affordable Housing Trust Fund Talking Points.
|File Size:||1705 kb|
A Coordinated Effort to Address Broward's Housing Crisis
Housing Broward - An Inclusive Plan
Broward County's Affordable Rental Housing Needs Presentation
|File Size:||257 kb|