Housing Information Resources
Since 2016 the Coordinating Council of Broward has prioritized the issue of affordable housing as their key focus area. Broward County’s housing affordability problem has widespread economic impacts, including a growing recognition of the important link between an adequate affordable housing supply and economic growth. During the height of the residential boom of 2003-2005, many of Florida’s business sectors, including professional services, retail trade, and health care, were finding it increasingly difficult to attract and maintain workers for entry and mid-management positions. An additional economic benefit of affordable housing comes from the foregone costs of providing social services to cost burdened households.
Our efforts around the issue of housing have resulted in a number of high profile and impactful outcomes, including:
- Creation of Housing Broward: An Inclusive Plan, Broward County’s first and only comprehensive strategic plan to address the affordable housing crisis
- New affordable housing policies passed by Broward County and several Broward municipalities
- A significant increase in funding to address housing needs from $259K in FY 2017 to over $15 million in FY 2020
- Several Broward municipalities funding housing programs from local budgets including Hollywood, Fort Lauderdale and Pompano Beach
- Leading the advocacy effort to create the Broward County Affordable Housing Trust Fund by ballot referendum in November with 73% voting in favor
- Supporting the Inter Local Agreement with the City of Hollywood and Broward County which will invest over 100M in neighborhood revitalization activities in Hollywood
- Developing the Housing Is You.Me.Us marketing/PR campaign
- Creating a Steering Committee to explore a Housing Intermediary plan to support affordable housing activities in Broward
- Supporting nonprofits that are actively engaged in affordable housing activities including the South Florida CLT, The South Florida Regional Planning Council, The Pride Center at Equality Park and the Urban League of Broward County
For additional information and resources please click on the attachments below.
Broward County Affordable Housing Needs Assessment
Sadowski Affordable Housing Trust Fund Talking Points.
|File Size:||1705 kb|
A Coordinated Effort to Address Broward's Housing Crisis
Housing Broward - An Inclusive Plan
Broward County's Affordable Rental Housing Needs Presentation
|File Size:||257 kb|